BeSo chic. BeSo organic. BeSo YOU. ...thoughts on design, fresh interiors + style from a photo stylist.

Friday, February 1, 2013

valentine diy: crayons + watercolors


I was so inspired recently when I stumbled upon this amazing blog.


I had this image pinned to my Art pinboard for quite awhile, but I finally got around to clicking over.  And, wow! I was so glad I did. Absolute inspiration!


Once I soaked in the beautiful color + texture of Alisa Burke's post "creativity-with-crayons" ...I couldn't resist. I had to PLAY. (Click over and take a peek. I promise you'll be inspired too.)


I have had a long-standing love for crayons + watercolors. There is something about opening up a big box of crayolas or a palette of paints.  It must be the vast array of COLOR + all the possibilities of CREATING.

I put a little VALENTINE SPIN on Alisa's crayon + watercolor idea. As you know, I've been all about pink + red lately. 

SO, here it is, my Valentine art creation...




All you need is a white crayon, watercolor paper, water, paint + a brush. It's kind of magical really. It's a fun one to do with the kids (I think I'll keep all the art supplies out...even my teens might go for it.)



...And while I had the crayons out, I decided to create some Valentine CRAYON HEARTS (some of my favorite things from childhood).

You just need a few ingredients: crayon shavings, wax paper and some ribbons.. plus an iron to melt the shavings within the wax paper sheets.  Here's how my creation turned out...



I ended up ironing the wax paper a bit more to further melt the crayons...



Though I did it all from memory, there is a great how-to here

{image via pinterest}

I hope you've had a great week.  And I hope this post brings out some good memories... and maybe even a box of crayons. :)


Happy Friday!


xo


patti
















9 comments:

  1. I am definitely breaking into my art supplies and trying these out! Especially the watercolors...I've been wanting to paint for some time now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think I literally posted this about a minute before I received your comment. THANKS so much for sharing your thoughts. Let me know what you create. Have a fun weekend!

      Delete
  2. Surprising what can be achieved with the humble Crayola crayon. Those hearts in the window are so pretty and effective.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, i just love it when the sun shines through the color. Thanks for commenting. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  3. How lovely! Great craft to do at home. I love your version of the hearts hanging in the window :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. It's so easy to compare yourself all the time. I appreciate your sweet comment. Thanks for checking out BeSoStyle. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Oh Patti, this is wonderful! My husband and I seldom celebrate Valentines but since I started blogging and seeing all the beautiful things people do to celebrate it, I am now questioning why we don't. It's been so long since I sat down and got creative, guess I might be breaking out the crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using crayons with watercolors is such a great idea! Love what you did with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great idea and I love all those vivid pinks. It seems like a lifetime ago since I've used crayons, I think it might be time to start again :-)

    Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog, I really appreciate it and will definitely be back for more inspiration from you. Have a great evening xo

    ReplyDelete