BeSo chic. BeSo organic. BeSo YOU. ...thoughts on design, fresh interiors + style from a photo stylist.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

diy: sun prints

I recently styled a photo shoot for Young America, highlighting new additions to their "My Haven" youth bedroom furniture collection. 

I wanted to add some DIY decorative accents to the room scenes to inspire parents + kids to create their own one-of-a-kind decor.


So... to create an inspirational room for a sun-loving teen girl, I started by selecting a color palette of sea blues + greens...then I crafted some sun prints using elements from nature & sun print paper like this Sun Print Kit from Amazon (click here for the link).


Here's the finished result of my sun print crafting + on-set photo styling...




Click here to get your sun print paper to make your own...


Sun Print Paper
{link here to get your Sun Art Paper on Amazon}


solar prints

I framed the prints in white and added some dimension by incorporating umbra Loft Twig Wall Art purchased at Target (you can find umbra wall flowers here). I also added beachy elements + a surfboard. The walls are painted in benjamin moore Sea Mist Green.


sun prints
{The completed room...Cool for any surf-lovin' girl.}
{Styled by patti borrelliphotographed by diana parrish photography & design


The DIY how-to:

The sun art kit came with easy step-by-step instructions.  My first attempt flopped, but after reading the directions a little more carefully (& listening to my daughter's advice) I went to a "dark room" (my pantry) to place the items on the sun print paper & cover with the acrylic sheet.  I chose natural items like sea-stars, shells, stems & flowers. Then, I placed the paper in the sun for 5 minutes, removed the items & rinsed paper in cold water with a little lemon juice ... & wallah... magic.  The images appeared, crisp & clear.  I love the deep indigo color & the wispy shapes the branches, leaves & flowers create.

Here are some shots of the sun prints in the making...



first attempt failed. images were very faint.





solar prints sun prints DIY

2nd attempt- Success! images sharp & artful.


More detailed steps are posted on the young america blog.


...Here are two more images I found that show even more ways to display your very own DIY sun prints...

{via sweetpaulmag}



{via apartment therapy}


Here's to sunshine + more fun DIY projects on the horizon.

xo

patti





4 comments:

  1. Hey Patti!

    Our friend Michelle sent me over here, and WHERE HAVE I BEEN--sun prints? THESE are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea! beautiful. I'd like to try it...donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. That room is absolutely beautiful. Love the wall color, too! Thanks for sharing the project and the name of the wall color!

    ReplyDelete